Saturday, June 18, 2005

Stay off the roads

Went to the DMV thursday to get my Californian drivers license. I had actually already been once the week before to do my written test and now I was returning to do my practical. Apparently you can't do both on the same day. The DMV is a classic American beaurocratic nightmare. The office I went to looked like it came straight out of the 80s. You get in queue A to get a number and then wait for you number to be called. Then after presenting all your documents you get a piece of paper to go to queue C. Here you get you fingerprint and photo taken and get given the test paper. Then after completing it you get in queue D to get it marked. Then usually you have to get back in queue A to book your practical test. Insane.

So today after queing in queue A for 15 minutes to check in for my test, I take the car and get in a CAR queue around the building. This is sort of the MacDonalds drive-thru version where you get an examiner when you get to the window. I'm in the queue 40 minutes with the queue length on average about 10 cars (engines running). Score 1 for the environment. The examiners all wear white lab coats -very very funny -nothing proves you're a professional examiner like a lab-coat!

So I get this girl who looks a LOT like my friend Julia (won't say which one) except this one turns out to be an absolute bitch. My attempts at conversation during the test were not received well, it seems talking was not allowed. The hardest part of the test was keeping under the speed limit. Anyway despite the fact that I thought I did perfect she took a few marks off for reasons I have no idea. But you are allowed loads of deductions before you fail so I passed easily.
As soon as I parked she said "You passed your test, go inside to queue A, have a nice day". Then she jumped out and left. She never smiled once the whole time.
Bloody queue A.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha... You will never forget this trip. At least I will never forget the stories. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL - very funny Mash.

Anonymous said...

he he!! Maybe you had the same lady as me ... she asked me if I spoke English :-)