Sunday, June 12, 2005

Da Baseball

On friday a work colleague recommended to me the minor league baseball at the San Jose Municipal Stadium. This is the home of the San Jose Giants, not to be confused with the San Francisco Giants! So I drove on down from work at about 6:30.
This turned out to be a million times better then a major league game because: $8 entry instead of $30, small intimate stadium, close to the action, fantastic atmosphere, audience participation and a BBQ present cooking great food.
Game was scoreless until about the 5th innings until the visitors (never knew who they were) got about 5 home runs and from there on they won the game. I left towards the end of the 8th innings mainly because I was getting too cold in my t-shirt and everyone else was leaving too. The stadium was a little rustic, extremly cute inside and easy to find your way around in. There were only two types of seats: top half $8 and bottom half $10. The crowd was good size but there were enough seats free for me to sit in the expensive seats anyway (I only scammed $2 but that's the Aussie way).
They had competitions and raffles etc going all night. One batter was nominated pre-game as the "Beer Batter". Whenever he struck out without hitting the ball it was half price beer for ten minutes - the rush was on. As the announcer said "Don't run, Don't run". Beer was Bud-Light but actually it was pretty much identical to the shite you get at the cricket.
I went a little crazy with the camera: movies, action pics etc. My awesome camera has a great mode which will shoot continuously until you take your finger off and then just store the last three shots. Made it easy to get good action sequences. All in all I had a fantastic time.

2 comments:

Matt said...

OK, I'm jealous. That'd be cool. Prick.

;)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, what would be even better would be if the "Beer Batter" was covered in beer batter and lightly fried...yum!