Monday, May 23, 2005

My shit wheels

Friday morning got up early, checked out of my hotel and walked my stuff 200m to the apartment. Threw my stuff down and then decided to see if my car was ready. Because I still dont have a freaken cell phone I call the AVIS from the apartment lobby. The dude agrees to pick me up even though he is in Palo Alto. I have no idea how far this is. (turns out to be about 8 miles). Even though it is on the SAME ROAD as us just in another suburb, the dude wants directions. I try giving directions to him through the concierge but he seems to have no idea and can't get a thing right. Janet the concierge takes the phone and sorts him out in about 3 seconds. She is a legend and is so far at the top of my list of worlds best americans that there may as well be no-one else on the list. Guy won't even drive into the front driveway and I have to walk up to the street. This makes Janet pretty angry "No customer service that's for sure" As I said, legend.

The whole directions thing should have been a clue. Car guy, whilst being awefully nice turns out to be my first stupid American!!
Extracts of conversation:
Car Guy: So you're from.. England?
Mashy: no Australia actually
Car Guy: Oh yeah. same accent isn't it.
Mashy: well they're a little bit different..(hint of polite sarcasm)
Car Guy: oh yeah, a little bit different... (totally serious)
Amongst the things I was asked 'Do you have it there'? are:
Chinese food, special olympics - Dont ask.
Also "How does your price of gas compare to here?" I didn't have the heart to break it to him that I have no freaken idea seeing as the prices are in US dollars and gallons. He fills the time trying to be helpful talking about the places we pass on the way.

He tells me the car we are in is actually the one they will give me when we get to the lease office. It is a Ford Taurus. Doh!. It has only done 5000 miles which apparently is good he tells me. "If they are going to break down, it will have happened already." Never heard of a new car breaking down. Turns out the car build quality here is shithouse. Apparently they do their first service after 5000 MILES, not even an oil change before that. Together with the cheap price of cars, this is one reason most of the cars on the road are less than 3 years old.

Pickup car, I just KNOW that he has no idea I have never driven on this side of the road. I pray this doesn't come into the conversation and that it is not obvious when I drive away.
Pretty nervous, jump in car and turn right onto El Camino Real. Not too hard. The lanes are wide and people seem to be pretty alert. Two mintues later I have the radio on. One minute later I am driving one handed in my true style. Its lucky I have driven American trucks before as I am used to the style of all the controls and use I the side mirrors which are really usefull to check lane positioning. One more right hand turn gets me back to the apartment.

No comments: