Sunday, May 08, 2005

Can't even bring a pen. (My Trip to the US Consulate)

Last Friday. Got up at 6:00. Yes 6:00 to make it on the train to the US consulate on lovely St Kilda Road at 8:30 am. My fault for booking so early but I like to be first off the bat with any kind of appointment - there's less chance of being delayed by people in front of you if there is no-one in front of you. Same goes for doctors appointments etc...

Anyway- despite joking that I probably shouldn't wear a belt or anything, I didn't follow my own advice and wore one. Guess what happened? Had to take off my watch, belt, jacket (zipper) change, wallet before I could get through the bloody detector. And then I had my pen confiscated. I was sure for things like this they would appreciate it if you bring your own pen. Makes it look like you're organised or something.

Sat for 20 mins in the waiting room while they played an hillarious video about all the new entry policies fingerprinting/documents etc. I figure that their aim is that by waying you down with so much paperwork, you won't be able to fit a bomb in your luggage without violating your airline weight allowance. Amongst the golden moments of hypocrisy were:
1. "This is part of our new safe-borders / open door policy"
2. After explaining all the documents and photos and fingerscanning, we were told it was to "enhance our privacy" I kid you not.

Actual "Interview" was easy not one question. Just watched while the dude stapled my documents together and then proceded to inform me as to why I couldn't have the visa today.
Despite phoning the consulate the week before to confirm the fees I have to pay, it turns out I had to pay another $650 anti-fraud fee (the whole other fees only totalled $260). My only consolation was that he got nicely ruffled when I related that I had been told I didn't need to pay.

I'm not paying for this but if I wanted the visa ASAP I had to pay it that day. SO-it was off to the Austin Hospital (nearest PO) to get a money order which was the only payment they would accept. EPTPOS apparently is unknown.
Got to the Austin, there is a queue 12 people long at the PO counter. When I get to third in the queue, the little printer breaks down at the console and I have wait a further 10 mins while the dude tries to fix it. Finally get MO back to the consulate. Exhausted.

No comments: