Sunday, July 10, 2005

Fourth of July

Monday night Hammer, Chris and I decided to head into San Jose to witness whatever fireworks displays were on for the fourth of July. We had dinner at the Gordon Beirsch Brewery, a chain of brewreys that make their own beer on site. This place is one of the most reliable for food and beer.

About 9:30 we followed everyone else on the streets into the central park. This was the same place as I had been to opposite the IMAX theatre last time I was in SJ. The park was packed and everyone was faced towards the low-rise side of the city. To my surprise the fireworks were way over behind the Hilton hotel. Why all these people weren't over there I have no idea.

The fireworks were spectacularly disappointing. They fired only about one or two salvos at a time without much variation apart from the colours. I couldn't find anywhere to set up a tripod so I had to take my chances with ordinary point and shoot. To be honest I'd seen better fireworks at the Monash municipal candles-by-candelight two years ago. They dribbled on for about 15 minutes and then everyone just turned around and went home. Traffic was chaos getting out of SJ.

No comments: