Monday, September 10, 2007

The white-man factor #2 (gajin factor)

The security guard saluted Tom today as we walked into our apartment complex. It kinda mentally knocked him sideways and the word "jesus fucking christ" came out of his mouth quietly amongst others. That kinda thing doesn't really happen often but it is quite confronting to us Aussies. I'm still not totally comfortable getting in the back of the car for each trip. I don't want to be different (not that different - I like being driven).
When you enter shops with security guards, they often open the door for you and I'm not totally sure in all instances if they do that for locals. I don't get it. Does the guy think I expect it? Does he think something bad will happen to him if he doesn't? Does he think its his duty? I really hate it.

1 comment:

The Observer said...

ya its his duty to open the doors and he does open the doors for locals as well :)