Saturday, September 17, 2005

Peanut Butter Dilemma

These are my attempts to find peanut butter in the US. I get cravings for it from time to time and while the Americans love their peanut butter I am unable yet to find something suitable.

1. Got given a tub of 'skippy' PB. I quite liked it but after the taste hit your tongue, so did the bucket of sugar that was squeezed into each spoonful. Went in the bin before I'd finished it.
2. I bought a jar of a 'home-style' PB from safeways. Can't remember the name. I kid you not there was at LEAST 5 cm of oil sitting on top in a layer. Again, this PB was fairly nice (a bit rich) but every time I looked at it I could feel my arteries hardening. I threw it out when I realised I was consuming vast amounts of the oil even though I was trying to dig the paste out by itsself.
3. Passing through Trader Joe's I picked up a jar or macadamia nut butter. Seeing as macadamia nuts rock I couldn't see how one could go wrong with this. Utterly horrible. In the bin.
4. I subsequently noticed a jar of something called 'Better than Peanut Butter'. Geez I'm a fool. Claimed it was 85% less fat and 40% less calories. Sounded like my kind of thing. Imagine cheap chocolate mousse and then imagine it being peanut flavoured. Straight in the bin.

I think I could feed a small third-world country with all the peanut butter I have thrown away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Mashy. It's good to have you back.