Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Mashy the Terrorist #1

Ok, listen up and listen up good. After many weeks of blog-boringness the adventures of Mashy return with a vengance. Lets start with a little history of the Standford Dishes.
The freeway I use to go to and from work most days runs past an old radio telescope farm built by NASA and Stanford Uni in the 1950's. Originally there were 32 but now only 5 60 footers remain. The dishes were shut down in the mid 1990's and the univeristy is in the process of trying to get them demolished.
The view of these dishes from the freeway is pretty spectacular so I thought it would be a good idea to run down at sunset and take some pictures. To start - here is a publicly accessible website that has PICTUREs of the dishes. www.bambi.net
I was a little late and sunset had already started so I rushed down the freeway (only one exit) and turned off at the dish complex. Being so built up around the complex it was always going to be hard to get a good shot, but I spotted a smaller dish I had never seen from the freeway which was right in the setting sun. So I threw the car into a hotel carpark. There was a row of trees down the median strip so I ran onto it, crouched down and took some snaps. With the sunset about to peak, I wanted to run the car around the corner and get a look at the big dishes close up so I ran back to the car.

No comments: