Sunday, August 19, 2007

Just the way I like it

The Bangalore apartments are nice but on arrival,
The following doesn't work:
* the complex internal 'telnet' phone
* the ADSL in my apartment
* the so called wireless networks available in the complex
The following has had parts drop off/break.
* Fridge,
* Toilet,
* Toilet roll holder
* Tap
* Orange juice container when I tried to open it.
Also
* My company calling card cannot possibly work because the only access number is on another (inaccessible) phone network. Two hours of calling help on VSNL and Airtel and Telstra confirms this problem is impossible to solve. Go Telstra. If I still had my Sprint card it would work fine.
* It took 45 minutes to work out how to turn on the hot water. This involved five taps, two electricity switches. There are about 20 unlabelled switches in the apartment - some turn on lights in other rooms, some turn on appliances/outlets in other rooms, some do nothing (as far as I can tell), some turn on lights. Its kinda like breaking a safe combination to work them out.
* A few TINY cornflakes crumbs left on the bench for 20 minutes called in an army of black ants all over the kitchen.
The only contact I have with the outside world is through my colleague Pavan's apartment.
I'm used to this sort of thing...

1 comment:

'Brush and Bel said...

That's awesome! Did you ever go to the Winchester House of Mystery in Santa Clara? What you describe with the light switches is the kinda funky shit that one would expect to find there, next to the sink with 13 overflow prevention holes. :)

Keep in mind though, at least the guys there speak your language in one form or other. When shit went south for us here, it was one hell of a struggle due to the language.